Nov 15, 2010

Table Fellowship

The economy is in the dumps. The teabag wing of the GOP just schemed their way into a majority in the House. The deficit hawks and their commission of fools will find ways just to continue the depression for another 2 years at least (just like when Hoover was president and kept the Great Depression going). Pretty bleak. I can hardly stand to read the news any more, even the sources I find sensible must report the facts that show just how indifferent and greedy the folks in charge are. It's too depressing. I can't even read news about the environment and outdoors how, because the climate change deniers have taken over the discourse.

The only news I can read now is food news, and even then I have to skip over the stories detailing how messed up things get with factory farms, patented plant genes, and profit-focused agribusiness.

So what, then, must we do? For the time being, without forgetting that we need to stay engaged, let's focus on each other. You, me, your friends, family, and close associates. I'm going to touch on something from Christian teachings, but please stay with me a bit, I promise I won't preach at you.

One of the central themes of Jesus' ministry in the gospels was something we call "table fellowship" -- eating and drinking together around the same table with the lowly, despised, and outcast of society. In your own experience, maybe you haven't sat down to dinner with lepers, but surely you can remember the times when you've shared an enjoyable meal and companionship around the table.

So starting today, let's focus on something we can do between you, my reader, your friends, and me. Let's have dinner together. Ideally, at home, but eating out will do in a pinch. My ideal is that each of you will take a day to put together a gathering where you will serve food. It doesn't have to be fancy -- remember that Jesus was known for fish, bread, and wine. Just put together something you can share, invite a couple of friends or a multitude, whatever you wish, and focus just on being with each other and what Martin Buber called the "I and Thou": existence in a relationship without bounds.

Just do this, and continue to reciprocate as long as you can, and I believe that we can avoid being buried in the hole that the principalities and powers are digging beneath us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment