Nov 8, 2010

Post-Op

This is the part of surgical procedures I hate most: immediate post-op out of the hospital. The enforced fasting pre-op fucks with the body. The anesthesia fucks with the body. Of course the trauma of the surgery fucks with the body.  Objectively I feel worse than I did the morning before I went in to the cath lab. Recovery involves the body both returning to its pre-op normality as well as adjusting to the new post-op conditions -- in this case, the new valve where there wasn't one before.

I know I'm getting slowly better, and soon will feel the real benefits. For now, though, at night when I wake up with strange pains, or chills, or when I look at the bruising on my body, I fret some. After a lifetime with my body, I know its quirks, and new and different stuff puts me off my oats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment