Oct 26, 2010

Curiosity, Research, and Formulating Questions

Sometime in the past couple of months I realized that I've started to formulate questions as Google keyword searches. It might be while I'm waking up in the morning, or as I'm reading a book or article, and I'll starting considering how I might go about finding out more about this or that tangent.  To my consternation I often start to compose my question in search terms, rather than thinking about how I'd investigate the topic in a more systematic way.

I've found it's easy to get lazy and just type a word or words into the Google search box and think that the results found that way are whole and final word on the topic.  In reality, though, I'm more and more convinced that this is a profoundly deceptive attitude: To think that reading a few web pages from search results do more than satisfy an impulsive interest. Even if the material doesn't suffer from an unknown bias on the topic, it can't be more than a shallow veneer of data.

I'm trying to break myself of my new-found tendency to think that because I Googled "the answer" I actually know something. Instead, I'm working to recover the atrophied skills in research methods that I picked up in my schooling. Maybe I'll actually learn something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment